follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HD-94
Corporate Name: Beaumont Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Wiess Bluff Tram Company, George W., Jr., and J. G. Smyth. Sold to Beaumont Lumber in 1888.
Location: Wiess Bluff on the Neches River, sixteen miles north of Beaumont
County: Hardin
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1883
End Year: 1893
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899
Period of Operation: Wiess Bluff Tram, 1883 to 1888. Beaumont Lumber, until the 1890s
Town: Wiess Bluff
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: About 2,000
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Sawtimber and sawlogs
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Animals and machinery
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Logging equipment
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Logging tram of five mile of tracks, a 15-ton engine, 13 logging cars, 13000 acres of stumpage.
Historicial Development: Upon the sale of the Smyth's Brothers' Eagle Mill to Texas Tram and Lumber, the brothers began a tram logging operation at Wiess Bluff. Owning more than 13,000 acres of good timberland, they harvested trees with a locomotive, thirteen logging cards, and five miles of trackage. In 1888, Wiess Bluff Tram was sold to Beaumont Lumber Company. The Handbook of Texas noted that until the Kirby tram road, the Gulf, Beaumont & Kansas City, penetrated the area, the logging community numbered more than 2,000. With the tram road in place, the logging town quickly decreased in size.
Research Date: MCJ 03-13-96
Prepared By: M Johnson