follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: VZ-2
Corporate Name: Ford
Local Name: Red Mill
Owner Name: Howell E. Ford. Riley Tall. B. F. McCarty. Mc. D. Moore
Location: Three miles southeast of Canton on Mill Creek on the 320-acre James Douhit Survey
County: Van Zandt
Years in Operation: 17 years
Start Year: 1872
End Year: 1888
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889
Period of Operation: 1872 to 1888
Town: Three miles southeast of Canton on Mill Creek
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, cotton, furniture, cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Brass turbine water-wheel
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mill, furniture factory, cotton gin
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: According to W. S. Mills, Mc. D. Moore created an industrial community in 1872 three and a miles southeast of Canton. Within a red-painted, two-story building known as the “Red Mill,” Moore brought sawmill and grist mill machinery, a planer, a cotton gin, and other remanufacturing tools for making furniture. Located on Mill Creek on the 320-acre James Douhit Survey, power was provided to the small brass turbine water-wheel by means of a dam about a half mile up the Creek. Ownership changed hands several times (Moore to McCarty to Tall to Ford) before Howell E. Ford dismantled the sawmill in 1888 and moved the furniture factory to Canton.
Research Date: MCJ 04-01-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson