follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WK-6
Corporate Name: American Lumber Mills Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: American Lumber Mills Company. J. H. Millikien & Sons.
Location: New Waverly, located on six acres of T. A. Millikien
County: Walker
Years in Operation: 9 years
Start Year: 1890
End Year: 1898
Decades: 1890-1899
Period of Operation: About 1890 to 1898
Town: New Waverly
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 311 in 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and dressed lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 15000: 1898
Capacity Comments: 15,000 feet daily in 1898
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1898: Sawmill and planing mill, sawmill carriage, trimmer, edger, steam locomotive.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern. Company tram road.
Historicial Development: J. H. Millikien & Sons had been operating a sawmill near New Waverly since 1890 or 1891. They were located on ten acres near New Waverly, and were logging with two yokes of oxen. American Lumber Mills bought the plant in 1898 for $10, including an engine, a boiler, a sawmill carriage and set works, one edger, one planer, shaftings, belts, and dollies. The property was located on six acres of T. A. Millikien. Son H. L. Millikien served as president of American Lumber Mills and G. M. Millikien was its secretary. On August 10, 1898 the Millikien contracted with Texas and Louisiana Company, of Houston, to sell it 250,000 feet monthly except for four cars, about 50,000 feet. American Lumber would size and dress the lumber. American Lumber owed George M. Dilley & Co almost $3,000 for a steam locomotive with four drive wheels, one Blakeslee steam pump, and one 24-inch two-saw Curtis trimmer. James H. Millikien, born in 1842 in Alabama, served in the Confederate armed forces with Hood's Texas Brigade and Tom Green's Cavalry Brigade. Son Thomas A. Millikien owned a cotton plantation and managed Thomas Foster's timber lands for five decades.
Research Date: MCJ 03-30-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson