follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WK-26
Corporate Name: Cole's Mill
Local Name: Cole's Mill
Owner Name: Cole's Mill
Location: Old Carolina on the Trinity River
County: Walker
Years in Operation: 32 years
Start Year: 1839
End Year: 1870
Decades: 1830-1839,1840-1849,1850-1859,1860-1869,1870-1879
Period of Operation: About 1839 to 1870
Town: Old Carolina
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, cotton, cornmeal
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Water
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, gin, and grist mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: Old Carolina was a freshwater port on the Trinity River, located at the mouth of Carolina Creek halfway between Duncan's Crossing and Cincinnati. Adolphus Sterne, a resident of Nacogdoches, noted in his diary on April 21, 1839, that a sawmill was being built at the new community of Carolina. “Lumber sell at $40 pr M” probably means that cut lumber was selling at $40 per thousand rough feet. Huntsville and Walker County notes that “old” Carolina, located at the mouth of Carolina Creek on the Trinity River, was the location of the water-powered Cole's Mill. It was probably a multi-function facility: ginning cotton, sawing lumber, and grinding corn. The coming of the International & Great Northern through Riverside resulted in Old Carolina becoming a ghost town.
Research Date: MCJ 03-30-96
Prepared By: M Johnson