follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WK-56
Corporate Name: J. A. Hays & Webb
Local Name:
Owner Name: J. A. Hays & Webb
Location: Probably near Phelps
County: Walker
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1889
End Year: 1901
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1889 to 1901
Town: Probably near Phelps
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Two steam engines and boilers
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer, one edger, one trimmer, one saw frame and fixtures, forty feet of shafting, four tram cars, two slip-tongue carts, three wagons, 3/4 mile of tram road, thirty oxen, one tram engine, six tram cars, and the sawmill building.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: J. A. Hays & Webb operated a sawmill near Phelps in the years surrounding 1890. On October 17, 1890, J. A. Hays sold to Carson, Sewall Co. and Halff & Neubauer Bros of Houston to pay for the debts of Hays and Webb Lumber Company to Carson et al ($6,110) and Halff & Neubauer ($4147). Hays and Webb surrendered 232 acres of land, Hays' half-interest in the store house at Dodge, the sawmill on J. M. Smithers land, which Hays had contracted to buy, two engines and boilers, one planer, one edger, one trimmer, one saw frame and fixtures, forty feet of shafting, four tram cars, two slip-tongue carts, three wagons, 3/4 mile of tram road, thirty oxen, one tram engine, six tram cars, and the sawmill building. On February 3, 1891, Ben Campbell, trustee for J. A. Hays, sold most of the above property at the court house for a total of $425 to John T. Smithers, a member of Smithers, Beall & Co.
Research Date: MCJ 03-31-96
Prepared By: M Johnson