follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WK-67
Corporate Name: J. W. Weatherly and J. W. Pool
Local Name:
Owner Name: J. W. Weatherly and J. W. Pool. Christopher Columbus Murray.
Location: On Midway Road near Bedias Creek, close to the Trinity River
County: Walker
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1879
End Year: 1882
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889
Period of Operation: 1879 to 1882
Town: Midway Road near Bedias Creek
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 60-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: 1,000,000 during the reporting period of the census
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Christopher Columbus Murray sawmill was listed in Subdivision 2 for Walker County in the 1880 Census. The Census recorded the d capital value of the facility at $5,000. Murray employed twenty men. They were paid $.75 to $2.00 daily for eight-hour shifts in the winter and ten-hour shifts in the summer. Murray paid out a total of $2,000 in wages for twelve half-time months of operations. From $5,500 worth of sawlogs and supplies, the facility manufactured 1,000,000 feet of lumber for a value of $9,000. C. C. Murray, a thirty-eight year old native of Texas, was enumerated at residence 135, Precinct 2, as a “sawmill proprietor.” He was the ninth child of Walker County sawmiller Walter Murray. The woods crews did their logging along the Trinity River. A chattel mortgage filed in the county registers reveals that the steam sawmill was located “about 14 miles northwest of Huntsville near the Midway Road. . .”. Another mortgage, filed July 24, 1882, revealed that J. W. Weatherly and J. W. Pool had taken the mill: they contracted the “entire interest in all lumber cut by us . . . same mill that was owned by C. C. Murray. . .”.
Research Date: MCJ 03-31-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson