follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HO-139
Corporate Name: Texoak Flooring Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Texoak Flooring Company. 1946: John Lingold, owner; Bill Lingold, (son) manager.
Location: Crockett: North Durrett and Spence
County: Houston
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1946
End Year: 1966
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1946 to 1966
Town: Crockett
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 5,932 in 1950
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Flooring, lumber, and ties in 1958; in 1960, flooring, furniture dimension and glued up stock; in 1966, plus kiln dried lumber, railroad ties.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: From electric in 1949 to steam, electric and diesel by 1966.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 60000: 195835000: 1966
Capacity Comments: 1949: 215,237 linear feet in ten hours. From 60,000 feet in 1958 to 30,000 feet in 1960 to 35,000 feet in 1966.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1949: no sawmill, dry kilns, planers, gang ripsaws, Woods side-matcher, two end-matchers. 1966-circular, resaw, edger
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Texoak Flooring Company began in 1946 at Crockett. By 1949, it produced hardwood floorings, including tongue and groove floorings, parquet flooring, stair treads and risers, thresholds, and semi-dimension for furniture factories. John Lingold, a veteran sawmiller from Cass County, headed Texoak. The mill produced 6,273,739 board feet of lumber during 1960. In 1966, the plant could work cottonwood, oak, ash, gum, elm, southern pine, walnut, and sycamore, with its additional equipment of a glue jointer, two lift trucks, three dry kilns, one hog, two compressors, and three company-owned lumber trucks.
Research Date: JKG 12-9-93, MCJ 02-21-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson