follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WL-7
Corporate Name: J. M. Cordell
Local Name: Fetzer sawmill
Owner Name: Gibson & Harvey. J. M. Cordell.
Location: Fetzer Switch, north of FR 1774 in northeastern Waller County, a mile west of Mill Creek
County: Waller
Years in Operation: 3 years
Start Year: 1913
End Year: 1915
Decades: 1910-1919
Period of Operation: Prior to 1913 to after 1915
Town: Fetzer Switch
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough cut lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Small
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: Ms. Mildred W. Absheir, for the Waller County Historical Commission, submitted a Data Form on the Boze sawmill to the East Texas Sawmill Data Base Project on August 8, 1993. The sawmill had a limited commissary, which made the community partially, at least, a mill town. The company store supplied people “with staple provisions.”Fetzer, Texas, was named for Miss Laura Fetzer, who encouraged lumbering and who disappeared mysteriously one day after boarding a Ft Worth-bound train. Miss Mildred Abshier has written that Fetzer's “social and economic life . . . revolved mainly about sawmilling and agricultural pursuits.” Allam and Henrietta Andrews helped to finance the establishment of the Fetzer sawmill, which was first operated by Gibson and Harvey. The next sawmiller of record was J. M. Cordell who operated a sawmill and ran a mill town with a commissary at Fetzer. A sawmill directory of 1915 that Cordell's plant had a circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, dry kilns, commissary, and a logging road.
Research Date: MCJ 04-01-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson