follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HO-28
Corporate Name: Daniel Lumber Co.
Local Name:
Owner Name: Daniel Lumber Co. with William Fleming Daniel and Awtrey Fleming Daniel
Location: Two locations in Crockett: Pease Street, and Second Street and North Durrett Street
County: Houston
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1925
End Year: 1935
Decades: 1920-1929,1930-1939
Period of Operation: About 1925 to about 1937
Town: Crockett
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Shortleaf yellow pine lumber; timbers.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: In 1928, circular sawmill, planing mill with edgers and trimmers and dry kilns.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern (Missouri Pacific)
Historicial Development: Daniel Lumber appeared in the 1928 edition of Southern Lumberman's Directory of American Saw Mills and Planing Mills at Crockett. This was the sawmill of William Fleming Daniel and his son, Awtrey Fleming Daniel. In 1930, according to county records, W. F. Daniel sold to A. F. his “undivided interest in the Daniel sawmill, planing mill, and lumber yard in Crockett, 1/2 mile north of the International & Great Northern depot, including sawmill, planing mill, and lumber in the yard and all machinery connected with Daniel sawmill at Crockett.” According to Margie Daniel Miller, a daughter of A. F. Daniel, the Daniel Lumber Company opened a sawmill and planing mill on the north side of Pease Street, about a block west of the railroad tracks. The company expanded, leaving the lumber yard at the Pease location, and moved the sawmill and planing mill several blocks south on the west side of North Durrett Street. The sawmill and planer were destroyed by fire during the late 1930s. When this mill closed, Awtrey Fleming opened a new mill at Shiloh.
Research Date: JKG 12-10-93, MCJ 02-20-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson