follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HR-17
Corporate Name: Bradford-Hicks Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Bradford-Hicks Lumber Company.
Location: Dyersburg (Dyersdale)
County: Harris
Years in Operation: 1 year
Start Year: 1909
End Year: 1909
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1909
Town: Dyersburg
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and dressed lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 35000: 1909
Capacity Comments: 35,000 feet daily in 1909
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planing mill, dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western Railroad
Historicial Development: The Bradford-Hicks Lumber Company built a plant thirteen miles east of Houston. The new sawmill town was called both Dyersdale and Dyersburg; it was situated on the Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western Railroad. The company officers were W. R Bradford, president; S. B. Hicks, vice-president; and W. A. Field, secretary, treasurer, and general manager. Field, a long-time lumberman from Leesville, Louisiana, was responsible for constructing the 35,000-feet-capacity plant. The planing mill was purchased from Hall & Brown Machine Company of St. Louis. Other equipment included dry sheds, steam dry kilns, and a three and a half-mile tram road into fifty-five million feet of standing timber that they company owned close to the mill. The firm of Sigler & Snell was contracted to do the logging. The mill town facilities consisted of twenty brand-new houses, a 30-room hotel, and a commissary. This plant probably became the property of the Lodwick Lumber Company sometime before 1915.
Research Date: MCJ 05-06-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson