follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-7
Corporate Name: Clyde C. Jordan
Local Name:
Owner Name: Clyde C. Jordan. Homer Sessions.
Location: Chancy Switch, southside of highway 48 and east of highway 49
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 10 years
Start Year: 1918
End Year: 1927
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1918 to 1927
Town: Chancy Switch, west of Lufkin
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and planed lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 35000
Capacity Comments: Estimated 35,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Eastern Texas Railroad
Historicial Development: Homer Sessions, beginning in 1918, operated a steam-powered sawmill at Chancy Switch, according to Grady Singletary and H. C. Polk, Jr. This small operation was conducted through the store of his father, Rube Sessions, at Wells. It burned in 1921. This is probably the sawmill referred to in Land of the Little Angel. Chancy Switch was adjacent the Homer-Alto Road, near the Bodan Cemetery. According to Harold W. Willis, grandson of the commissary owner at Chancy Switch during the time of Homer Sessions, a new Clyde Jordan plant at Chancy Switch was built on the old site of Homer Sessions sawmill and remained until 1927 when it had cut out. The old Homer Sessions home became the “Deck Place” (Deach) and is still standing at Pollok. With a school at Chancy Switch, the classes presumably would have been separated by race.
Research Date: MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: M. Johnson