follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-42
Corporate Name: Angelina Hardwood Sales Co.
Local Name:
Owner Name: Angelina Hardwood Sales Co. George H. Henderson, Jr., Sales Manager & Purchasing Agent
Location: Box 1020, Wilson Avenue, Lufkin
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 52 years
Start Year: 1945
End Year: 1996
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989,1990-1999
Period of Operation: 1945 to 1996
Town: Lufkin
Company Town: 0
Peak Town Size: 15,000 in 1950; 31,000 in 1990
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Flooring and finger-joint stock
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Electric
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1947: Planing mill, resaw, trimmers, edgers, gas cross-circulation dry kilns. Later: Sawmill and planing mill, with a resaw, finger-jointer, planer, and edger.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: St Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt)
Historicial Development: The Angelina Hardwood Sales Company of Lufkin, in 1947, was preparing and finishing rough lumber, then marketing it. The Gulf Coast Lumberman, in January, 1947, wrote an excellent article about the plant. George Henderson proudly showed his plants to members of the Texas Lumber Manufacturers Association in February, 1947. According to the Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958, George H. Henderson was still managing operations and directing more than 100 employees. In 1963, reported the Southern Lumberman, the operation had a dry kiln, planing mill, and produced machined or semi-finished dimension, thresholds, and glued-up treads. In 1966, equipment consisted of three lift trucks, three dry kilns, one hog, twenty-five electric motors, two compressors, four molders, and two lumber trucks. A woodworking plant was added by 1976, which worked with only oak. That same year more than eighty employees were working for the company. In 1987, the mill was manufacturing truck and trailer stock.
Research Date: MCJ 01-09-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson