follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-47
Corporate Name: C. D. Kennard, W. P. Havard, and J. P. Carter
Local Name:
Owner Name: C. D. Kennard, W. P. Havard, and J.Press Carter
Location: On Sandy Creek, near Zavalla, near the J. W. Badge place
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 1 year
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1906
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1906
Town: On Sandy Creek, near Zavalla
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: A circular sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The only historical record for this particular mill was found in the Angelina County Bill of Sale Records. On May 26, 1906, C.D. Kennard sold J.Press Carter, brother of Samuel Fain Carter, a half interest in a complete circular saw mill and machinery located on Sandy Creek, in the southern portion of the county, “near the residence of J.W. Badge (or Barge).” A business partner of C.D. Kennard's was also identified as W.P. Havard. The equipment was probably dismantled and moved to the Carter mill at Baber.
Research Date: JKG 11-29-93, MCJ 01-12-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson