follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JA-10
Corporate Name: Bleakwood Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Bleakwood Lumber Company
Location: Bon Ami (originally Leeton), along Santa Fe Tracks
County: Jasper
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1912
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1905 to 1912
Town: Bon Ami (Leeton)
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Yellow pine and oak lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 30000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 30,000 feet daily in 1906
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe at Kirbyville
Historicial Development: Bon Ami was named in honor of a Southwest Louisiana town of the same name by R.J. Cooper, the postmaster of Leeton, in 1902. Leeton was Bon Ami's original name. The Bleakwood Lumber Company at Bon Ami appeared in the January 1905 and January 1907 published records of the Lumbermen's Credit Association as a manufacturer of yellow pine and oak lumber. Leeton's sawmilling history is confusing. Webb's Handbook of Texas notes only that D. J. Lee and his Lee-Irvine Sawmill Company, founded in 1901 at Leeton, was sold to Bean Lumber Company in 1902, which continued to mill lumber until 1928. He does not mention L. T. Parminter's 40,000 foot mill of 1904 (see Entry) nor the Bleakwood Lumber Company's 30,000 foot mill of 1905 to 1907. The publications documenting Parminter and Bleakwood Lumber do not list Lee-Irvine or Bean Lumber at Leeton/Bon Ami; the reverse is true. The Bleakwood Lumber Company is recorded in Jasper County records as mortgaging for, in 1912, for two mules to be used at Bon Ami.
Research Date: JKG 10-19-93, MCJ 12-07-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson