follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JE-10
Corporate Name: Beaumont Sawmill Company
Local Name: Beaumont Sawmill Company
Owner Name: Beaumont Sawmill Company, a division of Miller-Vidor. United Lumber and Export Company.
Location: Beaumont
County: Jefferson
Years in Operation: 30 years
Start Year: 1901
End Year: 1930
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939
Period of Operation: United, 1901; Beaumont Sawmill Company until about 1930.
Town: Beaumont
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 25,000 in 1905; 65,000 in 1928; 57,732.
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished forest lumber products, shingles. 1928: longleaf and shortleaf yellow pine products.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 75000: 190575000: 191065000: 191565000: 192065000: 1925
Capacity Comments: 75,000 to 90,000 feet daily in 1906 until it burned in 1918. 65,000 in 1915. 60,000 feet in 1927. 1928: sawmill, 60,000 feet and planing mill, 45,000 feet.
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular and gang saws, planing mills, dry kilns, and dry sheds. 1928: Band sawmill, planing mill with edgers, trimmers, gang saw, dry kilns, logging road (eighteen miles of track), an electric light plant.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & New Orleans
Historicial Development: The United Lumber and Export Company built this mill on the Neches River in 1901. Miller- Vidor bought the sawmill in 1905 and organized it under the name of the Beaumont Sawmill Company. The Southern Industrial and Lumber Review still carried United as the owner in its 1906 listing of Texas sawmills. E. H. Green, Jr., was the manager, and W. H. Harrington served as his foreman. The plant burned on January 5, 1918. Apparently the mill was rebuilt, for Miller-Vidor was reported to have a mill in Beaumont in 1927. The daily cut was 60,000 feet with a workforce of 250, including the woods crew. In 1928, it was still operating a company town. It was not listed in the 1934 edition of the Lumbermen's Credit Rating Book, October 1934. A “Map Showing the Timber Possessions of the Miller & Vidor Lumber Co., of Galveston, Texas” is found in the October 1910 issue of American Lumberman.
Research Date: JKG 8-23-93, MCJ 03-12-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson