follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: JE-12
Corporate Name: E. E. Gilmore
Local Name:
Owner Name: Emmet Landry of the Landry Lumber Company. E. E. Gilmore. Contract in at least 1896 with Industrial Lumber Company.
Location: Landry Station or Landry Spur, five miles west of Beaumont on the Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western
County: Jefferson
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1901
End Year: 1908
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: About 1901 to 1908
Town: Landry Station or Landry Spur
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 30000: 190625000: 1907
Capacity Comments: 30,000 in 1906. 25,000 feet daily on the sawmill and 40,000 feet on the planer daily in 1907
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western
Historicial Development: The American Lumberman reported in the summer of 1899 that Emmet Landry was building a mill on Brake's Bayou. It is not known if this mill was completed. By 1906, Landry's mill was reported, by the American Lumberman again, a few miles west of Beaumont on the tracks of the Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western. It was conducting tramming and extending its facility. Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in its “Lumber Mills of Texas” article in September 1906 identified Emmett Landry's sawmill and that of the Industrial Lumber Company at Landry's Spur as different sawmill sites. They actually were the same sawmill, cutting about 30,000-ft daily. The confusion was that Industrial Lumber Company held the contract for lumber manufactured at Landry's site but did not own the mill The Beaumont Enterprise of 12 May 1907 noted that the Landry sawmill, located at Landry Station, five miles west of Beaumont on the Beaumont, Sour Lake & Western railroad, had been sold to E. E Gilmore of Port Arthur. The mill could cut 25,000 feet daily and the planer could manufacture 40,000 feed of finished lumber daily. The Switch had a population of 250, a work force of about 50, a short tram road, and stumpage reserve of about fifteen million feet. The company was forced into receivership in 1908, according to the Southern Lumberman.
Research Date: MCJ 04-15-96
Prepared By: M Johnson