follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-61
Corporate Name: Duncan & Campbell
Local Name:
Owner Name: Tom Duncan and D. J. Campbell. Tom Duncan and J. V. Lankford.
Location: Near River Crest Road and Highway 59 Intersection, north of Redland
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 3 years
Start Year: 1908
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1908 to 1910
Town: Redland
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas
Historicial Development: J. V. Lankford and Tom Duncan, both Angelina County sawmillers, had an early interest in a sawmill just north of Davisville about 1907 and 1908. That year, in return for supplying 100,000 feet of lumber to Davisville Lumber Company of W. G. Harrington, Harrington would provide them financial support. The sawmill, engines, boilers were located on Ed Perkins land and their timber was situated on the Giles Perkins tract. D. J. Campbell must have bought out J. V. Lankford shortly thereafter. Tom Duncan and D. J. Campbell, according to Ted Maberry, was the first Redland sawmill. Animal teams pulled log wagons to a skidway, the logs were dumped, and the sawlogs were taken by wooden tram into the sawing area. The tram ran to Cochran Switch where the plant's milled product could be put on the cars of the Houston East & West Texas. Duncan & Campbell created a sawmill town, building a boarding house and about eight tenant houses. Tom Duncan built another mill three or four miles west of Cochran Switch.
Research Date: MCJ 01-12-96
Prepared By: M Johnson