follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 120
Corporate Name: Seven Oaks Timber Road
Folk Name:
Incorporated:
Ownership: Tom L. Hackney. L. Mason, later Fisher Lumber Company.
Years of Operation: 1880 to about 1900
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: Six
Locations Served: Lone Star, Valda, Seven Oaks (Polk)
Counties of Operation: Polk
Line Connections: Houston East and West Texas
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment: Two locomotvies
History: The ICC Records of 1890 note a Seven Oaks Timber Road operating six miles of track. This would have been owned by either Tom L. Hackney with mills at Valda, Seven Oaks, and Lone Star; or by L. Mason with a mill at Seven Oaks; or by a joint ownership of Hackney Brothers and L. Mason. According to Ruth Peebles, Tom L. Hackney moved logs over a wooden tram road from the woods to his mill at Lone Star. Keeling notes that T. L. Hackney at Valda operated one standard rod locomotive and one narrow gauge rod locomotive.