follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SM-45
Corporate Name: John B. McKinley
Local Name:
Owner Name: John B. McKinley
Location: Three miles east of Tyler
County: Smith
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1866
End Year: 1869
Decades: 1860-1869
Period of Operation: 1866 to 1869
Town: East of Tyler
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: None
Historicial Development: John B. McKinley, Sheriff of Smith County, bought a second mill in Smith County. It was located, in 1866, three miles east of Tyler at the Old Confederate Laboratory. Trinidad & Dempier of Louisiana owned the steam machinery. McKinley pledged as security for the loan land that he owned about seven miles south of Tyler. Smith County registers record two more mortgages securing the sawmill property: the first in 1868 and the next a year later. McKinley used land about ten miles south of Tyler to secure the loans. It is uncertain if the sawmill had been moved from the Laboratory. McKinley and Green B. Epperson earlier had owned another sawmill, about two miles west of the Laboratory (see entry).
Research Date: MCJ 04-17-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson