follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SM-74
Corporate Name: Tyler Car & Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Tyler Car & Lumber Company. Long Leaf Lumber Company, earlier. Tyler Lumber Company. Tyler Lumber & Mfg. Co.
Location: West Erwin Street and Palace Avenue
County: Smith
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1887
End Year: 1897
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899
Period of Operation: 1887 to 1897
Town: Tyler
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 60000: 1893
Capacity Comments: 60,000 feet daily in 1893
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: St. Louis Southwestern, International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: Tyler Car and Lumber Co. began as a foundry and machine company about 1886 and then branched into lumbering in Smith and Angelina counties. It foundered during the Panic of 1893. A letterhead from 1890 reads “Tyler Car and Lumber Company., General Founders and Machinists. Iron Fronts, Sash Weights, and all Iron and Brass Castings Neatly and Promptly Made. . . . [and also] Manufacturers and Wholesale Lumber Dealers.” The earlier name for the manufacturing lumber company was the Long Leaf Lumber Company, headquarters at Tyler. An 1887 letterhead for the company lists John Durst, president, Jno. B. Douglas, vice-president, and Chas B. Bonner, secretary. The Tyler Car & Lumber Company was located at Tyler, in Smith County, from about 1885 to 1895. Its primary officers were A. L. Clark and John Durst, both prominent, local businessmen. The Tyler Lumber Company, headed by A. L. Clark, was located west of the County courthouse in Tyler on West Erwin Street. Clark's company was assimilated into Tyler Car & Lumber in 1887. Clark became president of the company eventually. Durst and Clark joined others in raising a $14,000 mortgage on other property in 1891 for expansion, probably for its sawmill at Michelli, in Angelina County. The Tyler Car & Lumber Company were reported to be cutting 60,000 feet daily in 1893 at Tyler. The Tyler Lumber & Mfg. Co was a subsidiary of Tyler Car & Lumber. It had a mill at Michelli, in Angelina County, from about 1890 or 1891 to 1899, which was sold to Cameron & Company. Clark and Durst were also officers in 1897 in the Tyler Electric Power & Light Company, the property of which was adjacent to that of Tyler Car & Lumber. The company could not recover from financial losses in the Panic of 1893. Nothing could prevent the Sheriff's Sale of the company and its assets on West Erwin to Galveston Dry Goods and the Jennette Lumber & Shingle Company in 1897.
Research Date: JKG 12-9-93, MCJ 04-17-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M Johnson