top of page
TFM_Logo_Yellow.png

Grogan- Cochran Lumber Company

Day Lumber & Timber Company was operating a lumber mill at Cowl Spur in 1934 and one in Houston. The mill was sold in 1938 to the Daniel Lumber Company and continued to use the original name. Daniel Lumber Company transferred the mill to R. W. Peckham, who sold it to Grogan- Cochran Lumber Company in March, 1942, for $15,000. Grogan-Cochran Lumber Company continued using the original company name. In 1947, Trinity River Lumber Company was marketing the sawmill's output. By 1953, this was known as the Timber Lumber Company and probably still a Grogan-Cochran outfit, because of the combination of “timber” and “lumber” in the company name and because a Conroe ice plant supplied ice houses at the Grogan-Cochran sawmill at Magnolia and to the Timber Lumber Company at Cowl Spur in 1953.
The company appeared in the Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958 at Conroe. Roy Cole was listed as the manager of more than 100 employees. It appeared again in the Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1960.

Mill Details

Alpha Numeric Key:

MO

Owner Name

Grogan- Cochran Lumber Company, George R. Grogan, president. Daniel Lumber Company, C. H. Daniel, Sr., J . W. Daniel, and R. W. Daniel. Day Lumber and Timber Company of Houston, Texas. Trinity River Lumber Company

Location

Cowl Spur, about seven miles west of Conroe

County

Montgomery

Years in Operation:

27

Start Year:

1934

End Year:

1960

Decades:

1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969

Period of Operation:

1934 to 1960

Town:

Cowl Spur

Company Town:

1

Peak Town Size:

150 in 1934

Mill Pond:

1

Mill Type
Product
Power Source
bottom of page