top of page
TFM_Logo_Yellow.png

Melvin Beeson Lumber Company

O. F. Adams sold Hervey, in 1951, a complete sawmill, including a loader, a lift, a Caterpillar power unit, a diesel engine, a dry kiln and building and kiln trucks, a Woods planer with all cutting heads, a fan, a feed table, a circular resaw, a six-cylinder GM engine, several buildings, trucks, tractors and trailors, and log trucks and trailers. The equipment was located on the James Elkins and G. W. Louis surveys. A. E. Hervey sold his company to L. E. Jowell of Willis in 1955. Jowell sold the company to W. E. Neely in April, 1956, who sold it the next month to Melvin E. Beeson, including the commissary.
Equipment in 1956 included the sawmill, a carriage, a lift, a dry kiln, a planer, a diesel motor, a cutoff saw, an edger, several saws, a trimmer, and a saw husk with a 6-ft feed.
Both the Melvin Beeson Lumber Company and the A. E. Hervey Lumber Company company appeared in the 1957 edition of Nelson T. Samson's Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas.

Mill Details

Alpha Numeric Key:

MO

Owner Name

Melvin Beeson Lumber Company. W. E. Neely. L. E. Jowell in 1955. A. E. Hervey Lumber Company.

Location

One half-mile north of Willis

County

Montgomery

Years in Operation:

7

Start Year:

1951

End Year:

1957

Decades:

1950-1959

Period of Operation:

1951 to 1957

Town:

Willis

Company Town:

1

Peak Town Size:

Unknown

Mill Pond:

2

Mill Type
Product
Power Source
bottom of page