Cade Brothers (Code)
Code Brothers appeared in the January 1905 Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association as manufacturers of lumber at Cushing. This is probably the Cade Brothers who operated mills in Liberty and Henderson counties during the same period. A Cade Brothers mill cutting 40,000 feet daily is listed at “Cade Bros” in the 1906 Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in the same column with other Cushing mills. The mill is listed as Code Brothers in the 1907 LCA reference work.
The mill itself was by owned by A. J. Cade and apparently was located in Sacul (also spelled as “Sackle'), about three miles from Cushing, which he moved to LaSalle, now Rye, in Liberty County, where it operated under the name of Cade Brothers. Kevin Ladd of the Liberty County Historical Commission found the mill reported very briefly in the Liberty Vindicator editions of March 16 and March 30, 1906. It was not listed in the 1907 edition of the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association.
A. J. Cade operated mills at Cushing, in Nacogdoches County, at Chandler, in Henderson County, and at LaSalle, in Liberty County, in 1907.
Mill Details
Alpha Numeric Key:
NA
Owner Name
Code Brothers (Cade)
Location
Sacul, three miles west of Cushing along the tracks of the Texas and New Orleans (Southern Pacific)
County
Nacogdoches
Years in Operation:
4
Start Year:
1903
End Year:
1906
Decades:
1900-1909
Period of Operation:
1903 to 1906
Town:
Sacul
Company Town:
2
Peak Town Size:
Unknown
Mill Pond:
2
