Livingston Lumber Company
David Zimmerman built the sawmill at Buck (sometimes mistaken for Stanley) about 1885. He later sold it to John W. Cochran. The letterhead of the Livingston Lumber Company, dated May 17, 1900, can be found in the Angelina County Lumber Company Records. This company is listed in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1907 as a manufacturer of yellow pine lumber and as an operator of a general store at Buck. Buck Reynolds brought many of his former employees from Arkansas to work in the Polk County mill. A company town grew up with a school, tenant housing, a commissary, hotel, and church. The mill operated until 1918.
The logging tram operation employed a locomotive named the “Old One Hundred.” The Polk County Enterprise reported in 1908 that a tram road wreck killed five and injured four. According to the writer, “This was the worst wreck that has ever happened in East Texas.” Keeling reported that the company had one geared and four rod locomotives and ten miles of track.
Mill Details
Alpha Numeric Key:
PK
Owner Name
Livingston Lumber Company. 1885: David Zimmerman; 1900: John W. Cochran, S. H. Smith, W. G. Standley, and Cade Bethea. Later, Waterman and Die. Buck Reynolds.
Location
Two miles north of Livingston at Buck (Zimmerman): at Buck and Depot
County
Polk
Years in Operation:
34
Start Year:
1885
End Year:
1918
Decades:
1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation:
1885 to 1918
Town:
Buck, north of Livingston
Company Town:
1
Peak Town Size:
25 in 1906
Mill Pond:
2
