top of page
TFM_Logo_Yellow.png

Jenkins Lumber Company

The Jacksonville Journal noted in 1947 that Jenkins Lumber Company at Huntington had been bought the previous year by Don Elliott, Laurence Metcalfe, J. Hub Hill, and D. Davidson from Vance K. Jenkins, of Hughes Springs. The medium sized plant could cut 30,000 feet daily on both the planing mill and the sawmill each. The cut was supplemented with that of eight contract mills.
Elliott served as general manager, Metcalfe as assistant general manager, and they were assisted by J. Hub Hill and D. Davidson, their partners. The office manager and bookkeeper was H. G. S. Killern. The woods crew and the mill force used 175 to 200 workers. The mill owned twelve to fifteen million standing feet of stumpage for harvest.
The mill was not reported in Samson's 1957 directory of East Texas sawmills. Only the Mattox sawmill at Huntington was listed that year.

Mill Details

Alpha Numeric Key:

AG

Owner Name

Jenkins Lumber Company with Don Elliott, Laurence Metcalfe, J. Hub Hill, and D. Davidson.

Location

Huntington: Highway 69 and FM 1475

County

Angelina

Years in Operation:

5

Start Year:

1946

End Year:

1950

Decades:

1940-1949,1950-1959

Period of Operation:

Before 1946 to 1950s

Town:

Huntington

Company Town:

0

Peak Town Size:

Unknown

Mill Pond:

2

Mill Type
Product
Power Source
bottom of page