top of page
TFM_Logo_Yellow.png

H. M. Maund Lumber Company

In 1913, H. M. Maund leased from E. P. Padgett for five years at $50 per year to build a steam sawmill on eighty-one acres of the Joseph Walker Survey, “just west of the Rhodes Mill branch where the machinery is now located and the said H M Maund has right to construct railroad switch to the Lufkin, Hemphill and Gulf RR track.” In 1921, Maund's lease with E. P. Padgett was located was extended until 1923, at which time the sawmill and planing mill could be moved.
In 1920, Maund contracted to sell to South Texas Lumber Company 700,000 feet of lumber at its mill for $140,000. Maund also agreed to contract its cut for three years to South Texas. By 1928, a listing indicates that Maund had a commissary and that the sawmill had a capacity for cutting 25,000 feet daily. Drayton Speights remembered that Maund also had twenty tenant houses for whites. Black workers lived on farms.
Drayton Speights told W. T. Block that he had worked for Harry Maund during the 1920s. He remembered that the sawmill at Maund's Switch was cutting about 35,000 feet daily, had a steam engine and boiler, a 50” circular sawmill and an American #77 planing machine. Maund' s fifty employees worked in the mill and the woods. The logging was done with a Shay engine, log cars, oxen, and mules, over a four-mile logging tram road. Pay was issued in company script. Speights in a later interview with Vernon Beasley told him that the script was issued in “post cards” of five, ten, twenty-five and fifty cents, and one dollar denominations. The cards were used at the company store.
Mrs. Dixie Sparks, the daughter of Mr. Neathery, told Vernon L. Beasley that her father was in business with Maund in 1919 at Milam. This operation was ran a cotton gin as well as a sawmill.

Mill Details

Alpha Numeric Key:

SB

Owner Name

H. M. Maund Lumber Company. This is listed as “Mound Lumber Company” in a 1928 directory. Mr. Neathery was a partner about 1919.

Location

One mile from Hemphill at Maund's Switch on highway 184

County

Sabine

Years in Operation:

16

Start Year:

1913

End Year:

1928

Decades:

1910-1919,1920-1929

Period of Operation:

1913 to 1928

Town:

Maund's Switch, near Hemphill

Company Town:

1

Peak Town Size:

Twenty tenant houses

Mill Pond:

2

Mill Type
Product
Power Source
bottom of page