Kirby Lumber Company
The Gulf Coast Lumberman noted on April 1, 1914, that the R. A. Myer Lumber Company facility at Honey Island was in operation. In February 1920, R. A. Myers contracted Lufkin Foundry & Machinery for machinery and improvements to its two-story lumber mill at Honey Island. The company operated a tram. Shortly before the Kirby Lumber Company purchase of the site, a fire destroyed the yards, sheds, and kilns. Kirby Lumber Company acquired the mill in either late 1928 or early 1929 “from J. W. Reynolds and associates, known as the R. A. Myer Lumber Company.” Upon purchase of the facility, Kirby Lumber modernized the plant and equipped it with a single band and gang, a planing mill, and kilns. Production resumed in February, 1929, under F. E. Tuxworth, its new manager. In 1947, the Kirby Lumber Company reported the mill at Honey Island had a non-compensable accident record of 2,260 days. In 1951, the sawmill used one band head rig and one gang saw with a combined output hourly of 5,500 board feet, producing 2,000,000 feet monthly on two eight-hour shifts, five days a week. Inventory included five cross-circulation kilns. Storage capacity existed for six million feet. The mill operated until 1954, when its operations were transferred to the new Silsbee plant.
Mill Details
Alpha Numeric Key:
HD
Owner Name
R. A. Myer Lumber Company, the Sabine Lumber Company of St Louis. Kirby Lumber Company in 1928; bought by Santa Fe in 1936.
Location
Honey Island. Not to be confused with locations in Fannin County.
County
Hardin
Years in Operation:
41
Start Year:
1914
End Year:
1954
Decades:
1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation:
1914 to 1954 (Operations transferred to new Silsbee plant)
Town:
Honey Island
Company Town:
1
Peak Town Size:
100 in 1928; 600 in 1934
Mill Pond:
1
