top of page
TFM_Logo_Yellow.png

Ohio-Texas Lumber Company

The sawmill operations of the R. C. Miller Lumber Company were situated at Napier, near Shepherd, the location of the business office. Miller was reported to have sold his half-interest in the Company to Jeff Cochran for $40,000 in 1901. The company cut both pine and hardwoods. According to the Galveston Weekly News issue in 1893, the mill was cutting 25,000 feet daily. By 1906, according to the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review, the company was cutting 50,000 feet daily. The company's saw and planing mills also appeared in the May 1, 1897, issue of the Galveston Daily News and in the January 1905 and 1907 Reference Books of the Lumbermen's Credit Association (Chicago), a 1909 issue of Southern Industrial and Lumber Review, and the 1909 roster of the Lumbermen's Association of Texas, Manufacturers. In January, 1909, the mill was sold to the Ohio-Texas Lumber Company, a subsidiary of C. W. Hahl & Co., a Houston business. The purchase price of $125,000 bought the sawmill facility complete, the logging operations, and 6,000 acres of hardwood and pine. Ohio-Texas Lumber Company owned the former Trotti mill at Applegate, but the officership is not the same and the Applegate concern went bankrupt in April 1909. The company rendered for taxes 320 acres in the Uriah Gipson grant and 2353 acres in the C. Smith grant for the year 1891, as well as $1200 worth of manufacturer's tools and $2500 worth of steam engines and boilers. In 1897, The company rendered over 4600 acres for taxation (two tracts, S. Smith and William Hays, were over 2000 acres each) and $3000 worth of steam engines and boilers and $2500 worth of manufacturer's tools. Total tax valuation in 1897 for the company was $29, 185. In 1909, the company rendered tax on more than 4,000 acres of timberland, twenty-five horses and mules, five wagons, $4,000 worth of commissary goods, $10,000 worth of manufactured articles, $2,500 worth of manufacturer's tools, $3,000 worth of steam machinery, and $8,000 worth of other property.

Mill Details

Alpha Numeric Key:

SJ

Owner Name

R.C. Miller. 1902: G. F. Arnold, president. In 1909, C. W. Hahl & Co. of Houston bought R. C. Miller Lumber for its subsidiary holding, Ohio-Texas Lumber Company. J. H. Conkle, president; M. J. Snively, vice president; C. W. Hall, secretary-treasurer.<

Location

Napier, just south of Shepherd, near the tracks of the Houston East & West Texas

County

San Jacinto

Years in Operation:

21

Start Year:

1890

End Year:

1910

Decades:

1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919

Period of Operation:

About 1890 to about 1910

Town:

Napier (Shepherd)

Company Town:

1

Peak Town Size:

278 in 1905

Mill Pond:

2

Mill Type
Product
Power Source
bottom of page