top of page
TFM_Logo_Yellow.png

West Lumber Company

The Trinity & Sabine Railroad built through Saron, ten miles west of Trinity. Colonel A. T. Anderson, William Cameron, and F. S. Ulmer (also spelled “Elmer”) built the Saron lumber facility sometime between 1883 and 1886. The firm, known as the Anderson and Cameron Lumber Company, changed to Cameron and Company when Cameron purchased the interests of his former business associates in May, 1898. The first mill began operations in 1887. Equipment included a single circular saw mill, dry kilns, and a planing mill. The sawmill could cut 60,000 board feet a day at peak capacity. Destroyed by fire on April 22, 1903, the mill was rebuilt. A single band and a pony rig had a capacity of 75,000 feet daily. It began operating in December, 1903. With the exhaustion of timber resources, the mill closed on December 31, 1917. The property was leased to the West Lumber Company in January, 1918. The post office was not discontinued, however, until 1929 when the population had declined to 100.
By 1905, the Cameron and Company at Saron had seventeen miles of tram road, thirty-five logging cars, three locomotives, two dry kilns, two artificial ponds (one of which was reported as eleven acres and twenty feet in depth), 125 houses, and 400 men on the payroll. The company also provided some artificial lighting to the town, and planted Sycamore trees on the sides of the streets to aid in decoration. The light plant powered 385 incandescent and 25 arc lamps.

Mill Details

Alpha Numeric Key:

TR

Owner Name

West Lumber Company. Cameron & Company. Anderson and Cameron Lumber Company. Colonel A.T. Anderson, William Cameron, and F.S. Ulmer, 1883/1886-1898; William Cameron, 1897-1918. West Lumber, 1918 to no later than 1928.

Location

Saron community on highway 94

County

Trinity

Years in Operation:

31

Start Year:

1887

End Year:

1917

Decades:

1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919

Period of Operation:

Began operations in 1887 and ran until December 31, 1917. West Lumber leased the mill in January, 1918.

Town:

Saron

Company Town:

1

Peak Town Size:

1000 in 1905

Mill Pond:

1

Mill Type
Product
Power Source
bottom of page