top of page
TFM_Logo_Yellow.png

Spring Creek Lumber Company

Mary Erwin, noted Reed in A History of the Texas Railroads and of the Transportation Conditions under Spain and Mexico and the Republic and the State, wrote in the Lufkin News in 1940 that the Spring Creek Lumber Company of Tyler County operated the first logging tram in East Texas in 1880. W. T. Block, the Nederland historian, records, without primary sources, that the Spring Creek sawmill was owned by James and H. E. Craig. The sawmill cutting capacity was 30,000 feet daily and that of the planing mill 20,000 feet. The sawmill community consisted of about 200 people, town hall, general store, and a post office.
No primary sources document that a Spring Creek Lumber Company existed in Tyler County during that timeframe. According to the Lufkin Daily News article; however, this mill and its tram road was sold to the Aldridge Lumber Company operating the nearby Rockland sawmill plant. It is not known if Aldridge incorporated the sawmill plant as he did the tram road into his operations at Rockland.

Mill Details

Alpha Numeric Key:

TY

Owner Name

Spring Creek Lumber Company

Location

Spring Creek area of northern Tyler County

County

Tyler

Years in Operation:

11

Start Year:

1880

End Year:

1890

Decades:

1880-1889,1890-1899

Period of Operation:

1880s to 1890

Town:

Spring Creek

Company Town:

1

Peak Town Size:

200 before 1890. Commissary, tenant housing, town hall.

Mill Pond:

2

Mill Type
Product
Power Source
bottom of page