R. H. Wilson
William B. Cox had established a farm and cotton gin on his property near Paint Rock in Wood County in the early 1850s. By 1863, Owen S. Davis, who settled in the area in 1845, acquired the gin on Gin Creek and added sawmill. Edwin Shamburger had the sawmill by 1879, and R. H. Wilson acquired it in 1881. When the mill closed is uncertain.
Shamburger also owned a mill to the west in Wood County during the same time period.
Mill Details
Alpha Numeric Key:
UP
Owner Name
Owen S. Davis. William B. Cox. Edwin Shamburger. R. H. Wilson.
Location
Paint Rock, on Gin Creek, south of Shady Grove
County
Upshur
Years in Operation:
19
Start Year:
1863
End Year:
1881
Decades:
1860-1869,1870-1879,1880-1889
Period of Operation:
1863 to at least 1881
Town:
Paint Rock, south of Shady Grove
Company Town:
2
Peak Town Size:
Unknown
Mill Pond:
2
