Stowe Lumber Company
Crockett Hardwood and Pine Lumber Company appeared in the 1928 edition of Southern Lumberman's Directory of American Saw Mills and Planing Mills and again in the The Lumbermen's Credit Rating Book, October 1934. W. T. Block notes that this company's business was extensive, cutting many types of hardwood and selling state-wide to furniture, cooperate, and other trades.
In 1943, the owners, F. E. Bain and F. Y. Collier, sold the company to Earl Stowe, according to Houston County records: “main lumber shed, office, planing shed, planing machine, engine, planing mill equipment, boiler and boiler house, dry kiln and sawmill of Crockett Hardwood and Pine Lumber Co.” The company's name was changed to the Stowe Lumber Company, located at 800 South 1st Street at Crockett. Employing eighty workers, Stowe market yellow pine and hardwood products state-wide. In 1959, he added an A-20 Yates American planer-matcher to his operations. In the 1960s, steam and electricity operated a circular saw, a barker, and edger, two planers, dry kilns, and log lift trucks. The company was listed until 1980 in various directories.
Mill Details
Alpha Numeric Key:
HO
Owner Name
Stowe Lumber Company. Crockett Hardwood and Pine Lumber Co. Earl Stowe. F[rank]. E. Bain (Bayne) and F. Y. Collier.
Location
Crockett. Stowe: 800 South 1st Street.
County
Houston
Years in Operation:
53
Start Year:
1928
End Year:
1980
Decades:
1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989,
Period of Operation:
At least 1928 to 1980
Town:
Crockett
Company Town:
2
Peak Town Size:
9000 in 1928; 4441 in 1934; 5,932 in 1950
Mill Pond:
2
