follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: GG-29
Corporate Name: Crutcher & Harrison
Local Name:
Owner Name: Crutcher and George Harrison. Henry C. Ferrell.
Location: About two and a half miles north of O'Bryne Switch.
County: Gregg
Years in Operation: 4 years
Start Year: 1881
End Year: 1884
Decades: 1880-1889
Period of Operation: 1881 to 1884
Town: North of O'Byrne Switch
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and shingles
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and shingle mill. Planing mill one mile east of Longview.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific
Historicial Development: Henry C. Ferrell sold the old O'Byrne sawmill for $900 to George Harrison and a Mr. Crutcher, located about two and a half miles north of O'Byrne Switch, in 1881. The firm was soon in business, selling lumber to J. M. Carnes, a local contractor. Linkham & Co (D. Linkham and E. Rice) had a shingle mill, which was forced to public sale when they lost a suit to L. McNaughton. For $130, R. D. Welborn and R. C. DeGrafenreid bought the mill, and resold it to Crutcher & Harrison for $175, in 1882. Crutcher & Harrison, in 1884, bought W. S. F. Wilkins, Sr., planing mill, which was located one mile east of Longview between the tracks of the T&P and the GSL&Sabine. The steam outfit powered, the planer, a surfacer, and a resaw.
Research Date: MCJ 04-19-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson