follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AN-73
Corporate Name: W. E. Moore Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: W. E. Moore Lumber Company in 1947. W. E. Moore, Jr. in 1957.
Location: Frankston: 175 and 155
County: Anderson
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1937
End Year: 1957
Decades: 1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1937 to 1957
Town: Frankston
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hardwood and pine rough and dressed lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Probably steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 30000: 1947
Capacity Comments: 30,000 feet daily on the sawmill and 20,000 feet daily on the planing mill
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The W. E. Moore Lumber Company of Frankston, which had been there since 1937, according to The Jacksonville Journal in 1947, was listed in the 1957 Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas as W. E. Moore, Jr. The Jacksonville newspaper reported that the company, in 1947, was employing between 125 to 150 men and had bought the contract cut of five tractor mills. Company logging was done in Henderson, Anderson, and Cherokee counties. The Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958 noted the W. E. Moore, Jr., lumber operation at Frankston. Moore employed less than twenty-five workers who manufactured pine and hardwood lumber.
Research Date: MCJ 03-06-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson