follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-13
Corporate Name: C. B. Griffin
Local Name:
Owner Name: C. B. Griffin. Charles H. Angell. W. J. Burke.
Location: Krub Switch (Retrieve): on highway 69 at Southern Pacific tracks and Dry Creek
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1909
Decades: 1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1905 to 1909
Town: Krub Switch (Retrieve)
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Thirteen houses
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 12”x15” stroke Ames Regal engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 25000
Capacity Comments: 25,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: A 54” circular sawmill and a 6”x24” American planing mill.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas and New Orleans
Historicial Development: The sawmill town of Krub was located at a switch on the Texas and New Orleans railroad, about six miles southeast of Huntington. The town received a post office in August 1905, and C. H. Angell, the town's first sawmiller, was the only postmaster the town ever had. The Krub post office was discontinued in December 1905, and C. H. Angell sold the sawmill in January 1906 to W. J. Burke of Cherokee County. The mill was identified in Angelina County Bill of Sale records as a 54-inch circular saw mill with a 6-inch by 24-inch American planer. The town of Krub consisted of the mill plant, at least thirteen “tenant houses”, and various other buildings, including a “stone building.” C. H. Angell was described in these records as being from Tyler County. Burke then sold the same to C. B. Griffin of Nacogdoches County the following day. A 1906 listing of sawmills on the railroads identified the C.H. Angell sawmill as a 25,000 board feet capacity per day. The business offices of the mill were possibly at Huntington. C. B. Griffin's sawmill was located at Retrieve in 1909, according to county records. It is not known when the sawmill closed.
Research Date: JKG 11-29-93, MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson