follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: CS-9
Corporate Name: Atlanta Lumber Mills Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Atlanta Lumber Mills Company. E. A. Rand. T. L. L. Temple, Ab Scott, and Frank Grigsby.
Location: Atlanta
County: Cass
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1887
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1887 to about 1907
Town: Atlanta
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 1764 in 1906
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 1893
Capacity Comments: From 30,000 to 50,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Planing mill and sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific. Texas, Arkansas, & Louisiana.
Historicial Development: Atlanta, according to the Handbook of Texas, was established on the Texas and Pacific route about 1872. By 1890 it had a population of 1,794. In 1887, the Atlanta Lumber Mills company at Atlanta, Texas, was organized by T. L. L. Temple, Frank Grigsby, and Ab Scott. Temple and Scott may have combined separate mill operations into a partnership with Grigsby. Temple managed the business and employed more than one hundred men, according to the American Lumberman, before incorporating Southern Pine Lumber Company and opening the Diboll mill in Angelina County, Texas, which later expanded into the massive Temple-Inland business operations. John D. Hanes believed that Temple, Grigsby, and Scott built mills next to each other in Atlanta and later each sold out to the Grigsby Brothers. Sheets Brothers, Temple, Scott, and Queen City Lumber Company, noted Hanes, operated a joint tram operation for some years. This was the East Texas Transportation Company that Grigsby sold to Ed Rand and H. J. Allen in 1891. The W. L. Scott firm was reported in the Galveston Weekly News of April 13, 1893, to be cutting 50,000 feet daily. The name is a misprint for W. A. “Ab” Scott.In 1894, according the Beaumont Journal, E. A. Rand was president of the company, who was manager and president of the company for six years. The logging tram road operated in three states (Miller County, Arkansas; Caddo Parish, Louisiana). This company road was later developed into the Texas, Arkansas & Louisiana, connecting the Texas & Pacific at Atlanta to the Kansas City, Pittsburg & Gulf, at Bloomberg. Atlanta Mills closed about 1907.
Research Date: MCJ 04-15-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson