follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MA-10
Corporate Name: Clark & Boice Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Based at Dallas, Fred J. Clark, vice-president and general manager. Main office at Dallas. Clark & Boice & Collamer Lumber Company.
Location: Immediately north of Jefferson on the east bank of the Big Cypress Bayou
County: Marion
Years in Operation: 51 years
Start Year: 1880
End Year: 1930
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939
Period of Operation: 1880 or 1881 to about 1930
Town: Jefferson
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 2850 in 1905; 4000 in 1928; 2329 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber. 1928: oak, gum, shortleaf yellow pine; oak timbers.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 189360000: 191275000: 191560000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 50,000 feet in 1893; 60,000 feet daily (1912); 75,000 feet (1915); 60,000 feet each (1928) on band and planing mills
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Single band saw with planing mill and kilns. 1928: Band, resaw, planing mill, edgers, trimmers, dry kilns, electric light plant.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas
Historicial Development: The first mill was built in 1880, reported the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in 1912, and, although the mill had been “rebuilt and enlarged a number of times,” it had then been in “continual operation” for 32 years. Arthur D. Clark and David Boice, with corporate offices at Dallas, had been sawmilling in northeast Texas since the late 1870s at or near Wayne, Galloway, and Bivins, all in Cass County. August Faviel wrote that he helped build the new Clark & Boice mill at Jefferson in 1881. The Clark & Boice Lumber Company began as the Clark, Boice, & Collamer. By 1893, it was cutting 50,000 feet daily. Collamer was later dropped. The company sought state statutory relief in 1896 under Article 73, Title VIII. The company in 1898 was mortgaging the assets of the former Jefferson Lumber Company, the Kildare Lumber Company, the Atlanta & Mt Pleasant tram, and the Kildare & Linden tram. The mill plant of 1912 included a single band saw mill capable of cutting short leaf pine at 60,000 feet per day, a newly rebuilt planing mill, and “all modern devices for the drying and handling of wood.”Sawmills were located at Kildare and Linden, under the name of North Texas Lumber Company, with Wesley Morse, President, and Fred J. Clark, Vice President. The Jefferson & Northwestern, would operated over forty miles of tracks; it was built on the roadbeds of the Kildare & Linden and the Atlanta & Mt Pleasant. Timber operations in 1912 were conducted in Cass County, up to thirty-two miles from the mill. The mill could furnish rough and dressed stock up to twenty-eight feet in length. Sixty-five percent of the mill's output was in board stock. The mill appeared in a 1915 directory of sawmills as capable of cutting 75,000 feet per day, and specializing in flooring and planing materials. The plant suffered from fire on March 20, 1916. In 1928, the plant could still mill and plane 65,000 feet daily. The company was not listed in the The Lumbermen's Credit Rating Book, October 1934 at Jefferson.
Research Date: JKG 10-1-93, MCJ 05-04-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M Johnson