follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-129
Corporate Name: J. H. Williams Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: J. H. Williams Lumber Company. Hub Lumber Company with W. H. Phillips
Location: One mile south of Conroe
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1953
End Year: 1960
Decades: 1950-1959,1960-1969
Period of Operation: 1953 to 1960
Town: Conroe
Company Town: 0
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: A diesel 185-horsepower motor and a 100-horsepower electric motor and two other electric motors
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, a dry kiln, a planing mill, a Ross lift, thirty-seven steel wagons, a sawmill shed, a planer shed, a rough lumber shed, an office, a Nacco end matcher, a Nacco ripper, an American planer, a GMC truck
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: W. H. Phillips of Hub Lumber Company operated his own sawmill about a mile south of Conroe during the 1950s. Phillips had a working relationship with O. F. Adams Lumber Company. Phillips tried to stave off financial problems with a mortgage on his equipment to O. F. Adams in 1953. The 1953 mortgage included the sawmill, a dry kiln, a planing mill, a Ross lift, thirty-seven steel wagons, a sawmill shed, a planer shed, a rough lumber shed, an office, an 100-horsepower electric motor, a Nacco end matcher, a Nacco ripper, a fifteen-horsepower electric motor, a five-horsepower electric motor, an American planer, a GMC truck, and one diesel 185-horsepower motor. Adams released the lien the following day to Phillips. Difficulties, however, continued, and Phillips turned the lien back to O. F. Adams in August, 1954. Roy E. Hearn foreclosed on the plant and sold it to J. H. Williams for $12,995. The J. H. Williams Lumber Company appeared in the 1957 edition of Nelson T. Samson's Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas. The Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1956-1958 reported that Williams employed less than fifty workers. The company was listed in the Directory of Texas Manufacturers 1960.
Research Date: MCJ 03-20-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson