follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-4
Corporate Name: J. E. Stone Lumber Company
Local Name: Stone
Owner Name: John Edward Stone and Clyde Stone. T. M. Hooks. S. B. Hayter. J. E. Stone Lumber Company
Location: Nacogdoches, between Pearl and Houston East and West Texas tracks and Powers and Rusk streets
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 35 years
Start Year: 1922
End Year: 1956
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929,1930-1939,1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: From about 1919 to about 1956
Town: Nacogdoches
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Hooks: Pine and hardwoods. Stone: General dimension lumber with interior lumber a specialty.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 192840000: 1934
Capacity Comments: Hooks: 20,000 feet daily in 1928. Stone: 40,000 feet in a 10-hour day in 1934.
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Hooks: Circular sawmill, planing mill, edgers, trimmers. Stone: Sawmill with a band, gang, resaw, edger, and trimmer.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Southern Pacific (formerly Houston East and West Texas)
Historicial Development: S. B. Hayter had a sawmill in Nacogdoches before 1919. Hayter sold property and sawmill equipment in 1919 in Nacogdoches to T. M. Hooks. The property as then described is located from Pearl and Rusk Street on the northeast, south on Pearl Street, west on Powers Street, and north on Old Tyler Road to the small stream, then east to Pearl Street across the Southern Pacific tracks and Banita Bayou. Equipment included the sawmill, a planing mill, an automobile, mules, wagons, and other items. The T. M. Hooks mill in Nacogdoches was cutting 25,000 feet daily in 1928 from longleaf and shortleaf yellow pine, ash, beech, gum, hickory, oak, sycamore, and magnolia. S. B. and R. H. Hayter sold the mill to J. E. Stone and Clyde Stone in 1926. Originally Stone was in the cotton ginning business. When the boll weevil destroyed his business, Stone rebuilt his gins as sawmills, milling at Pine Hill, Carthage, Center, and then Nacogdoches. In 1934, the 100 employees at the Nacogdoches mill worked under the NRA code scale for no less than $1.92 for eight hours. As of October 1943, J. E. Stone also operated a sawmill at San Augustine. The mill operated until the mid-1950s, normally with a crew producing between 30,000 and 40,000 feet daily. J. McSwain told interviewer Vernon L. Beasley that he remembered that “Stone Lumber” operated in Nacogdoches from the 1920s to the 1950s and that the company operated a commissary and tenant houses.
Research Date: LT 08-08-93, JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 04-03-96
Prepared By: L. Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson