follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NA-32
Corporate Name: J. H. Garrison
Local Name:
Owner Name: Garrison-Norton Lumber Company. J H Garrison & Son Lumber Company with John H. Garrison, W. V. Garrison. J. P. Ross
Location: Garrison: one block southwest of Main and Southern Pacific tracks
County: Nacogdoches
Years in Operation: 17 years
Start Year: 1891
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1891 to 1907
Town: Garrison
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber and ties
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1904
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet of lumber daily in 1904
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, planer, and kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East & West Texas (later Southern Pacific)
Historicial Development: J. P. Ross owned a sawmill at Garrison prior to 1891. In that year J. H. Garrison and his wife, M. C. Garrison, bought the Ross sawmill and land on the west half of Block 9. W. V. Garrison, later involved in the Garrison-Norton Lumber Company, with his father, John, owned and managed a lumber concern in the Garrison area for nearly two decades. Two separate entries, one for the Garrison Lumber Company and one for W.Y. Garrison, appeared in the January 1905 Lumbermen's Credit Association's records. Both concerns, however, were not listed as manufacturers. Two later reports from the American Lumberman confirm this, but the Beaumont Enterprise in 1905 notes that Garrison was intending “to move its planer from Garrison to Rush and have it in operation in about sixty days.” The Southern Lumber and Industrial Review for September 6, 1906, reported that the Garrison Lumber Company of Garrison was cutting 20,000 feet daily. W.Y. Garrison organized the Garrison-Norton Lumber Company with J.A. Kelley and J.F. Adams, selling the Garrison Lumber Company to the new Garrison-Norton outfit. Their “principal mill,” reported the American Lumberman, was at Rush (near Pineland), on the Santa Fe, in southern Sabine County.
Research Date: LAT 08-08-93, JKG 12-15-93, MCJ 02-10-96
Prepared By: L. Turner, J. Gerland, M. Johnson