follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: NE-10
Corporate Name: Bon Wier Lumber Company
Local Name: Bonwier or Long Leaf
Owner Name: Bon Wier Lumber Company. Also known as the Long Leaf Lumber Company. B. F. Bonner and R. W. Wier. Marketing in 1907 handled by the Texas and Louisiana Lumber Company; in 1908 by R. W. Wier Lumber Company. West Lumber Company.
Location: Bonwier, a few miles west of Sabine River, on the Jasper and Eastern
County: Newton
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1915
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: About 1905 to 1915
Town: Bon Wier or Long Leaf
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Timbers and ties. Speciality of sawn timbers.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 45000: 1908
Capacity Comments: 45,000 feet daily in 1908, possibly 80,000 feet daily by 1909
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Jasper and Eastern (later Gulf Colorado and Santa Fe)
Historicial Development: The mill of the Bonwier Lumber Company at Bonwier appeared in the January 1907 published records of the Lumbermen's Credit Association (LCA). No mill at Bonwier appeared in the published records of the LCA for January 1905. It is possible that the mill was also known as the Long Leaf Lumber Company and may have been a contract mill of the Texas and Louisiana Lumber Company. The mill was built about 1905 as a circular saw sawmill capable of cutting 45,000 board feet per day. It was announced in the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review in December 1908 that plans were being made to tear down this mill in order to erect a larger 80,000 feet mill on the site. Its speciality of sawn timbers required a larger circular saw, rather than a band, and the company had ordered the equipment and additional machinery. The new cutting capacity was expected to be used within a month. Southern Lumberman reported in July 1908 that the West Lumber Company had gained control of the mill.
Research Date: JKG 12-29-93, MCJ 04-11-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson