follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PA-26
Corporate Name: Boynton Brothers
Local Name:
Owner Name: Albert and Walter Boynton. A. C. Boynton and M. B. Boynton.
Location: One and a half miles northeast of Carthage
County: Panola
Years in Operation: 18 years
Start Year: 1887
End Year: 1904
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1887 to 1904
Town: Northeast of Carthage
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 956 in 1905; 3200 in 1982;1651 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, cornmeal, cotton
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill, grist mill, cotton press
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas Sabine Valley & Northwestern, later the Texas & Gulf
Historicial Development: Panola County records document that A. C. Boynton and his wife were operating a multi-milling concern as early as 1887 near Carthage. County records reveal that A. C. Boynton mortgaged his sawmill for $250 in February 1887 and again in June 1887. Equipment mortgaged included a Short steam engine, a tubular boiler, a yoke of oxen, a log wagon, houses, and stables. By February 1888, M. B. Boynton had apparently joined with A. C. Boynton in partnership. That month, for $3,000, they mortgaged the engine, the boiler, two log wagons, chains, the saw and sawmill carriage, a grist mill, a gin press, all houses, and other items. A. C. Boynton and wife M. B. Boynton, on April 7, 1891, executed a Deed of Trust to Wm L. Weal on their sawmill plant located one and a half miles northeast of Carthage, along the tracks of the Texas Sabine Valley & Northwestern railway. The plant consisted of a sawmill, a planing mill, and had the following logging equipment: fourteen yoke of oxen, four log wagons, and a 12-wheel log wagon. R. E. Trabue picked up Weal's Deed of Trust on June 8, 1892 for $3,330. The sawmill site was located on eight acres of land (on the W. I. Thompson survey) that Boynton had bought from Weal. R. E. Trabue about 1904 sold a Lima 2T steam locomotive to A. C. Boynton of Panola County.
Research Date: JKG 12-10-93, MCJ 02-08-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson