follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  

Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PA-32
Corporate Name: C. M. Cook
Local Name:
Owner Name: C. M. Cook. R. L. “Tom” Hensley. J. E. McClung & R. L. Hensley.
Location: On Murvaul Creek, near Gary
County: Panola
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1905
End Year: 1912
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1905 to 1912
Town: On Murvaul Creek, near Gary
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 341 in 1905
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Probably steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Gulf
Historicial Development: The firm of McClung & Hensley was listed at Gary as a sawmiller in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association for 1905 and 1907. They mortgaged “machinery” with Geo M. Dilley & Son on December 12, 1906. Panola County records reveal that the planing mill of R. E. McClung and R. L. Hensley was located at Murvaul, about two miles north of Gary. McClung sold out his interest in the planing mill to Hensley on February 16, 1907 for four cars of lumber and his [McClung] to R. E. Trabue. The sawmill complex was probably “the Tom Hensley Saw Mill” referred to in an entry in the county's chattel mortgage registers on January 8, 1912. On that date, C. M. Cook mortgaged to J. E. Glover & Sons in the amount of $6,956.18 for the Hensley sawmill, log wagon, and other equipment.
Research Date: MCJ 02-08-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson