follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PK-9
Corporate Name: Angle Lumber Company
Local Name: Angle Lumber Company
Owner Name: Angle Lumber Company D. M. Angle and G. H. Stryker
Location: Stryker (Pluck): intersection of 352 and Highway 287
County: Polk
Years in Operation: 10 years
Start Year: 1884
End Year: 1893
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899
Period of Operation: About 1884 to 1893
Town: Stryker, earlier known as Pluck
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1893
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily in 1893
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Trinity & Sabine
Historicial Development: D.M. Angle and G.H. Stryker, two cousins from Pennsylvania, built a mill about five miles east of Corrigan, on the Trinity & Sabine railroad, around 1884. Stryker died in late 1892, and the mill may have closed in 1893. D. M. Angle may have moved his operation from Stryker to Bissel, Trinity County, that year. Webb mislabels the company as Eagle & Stryker but notes that Pluck was the location of the sawmill. Angle & Company operated a mill town. Ruth Peebles notes that the community was a sawmill town with a post office, company offices and buildings, tenant housing, a church, and a school. Angle & Company bought the Richard Hayward & Company store and all its goods at Carmona Station in 1887. Payment was made by $6,230.94 in cash, $423.00 in shingles, and $1,685.15 in laborer's liens and checks. A bill of sale, dated January 1, 1886, conveying company assets of Angle and Stryker to Angle & Company, note the following assets: more than five hundred thousand feet of lumber, a boarding house, one store building, a blacksmith shop, stables, sheds, twenty-eight houses (seven were 26-ft by 18-ft; five were 24-ft by 16-ft; and five were “houses for colored hands”), two steam engines, a boiler, a four-saw edger, a timber hoist, twelve dollies, a planer and engine, one resaw, a steam feed, a slab saw, one sawmill building, a planing mill building, eight tram cars, one tram engine, a wood track, seven log wagons, forty oxen, three crosscut saws, one adze, 782 logs, 56-inch saws, two two-horse trams, eleven axes, twenty-seven pull chains, and other items. According to The Polk County Enterprise in 1981, the company had a mill pond. D. M. Angle is recorded in a Northwestern publication as beginning his sawmill career in New Waverly in 1880. He later would own mills in Trinity and Polk counties. D. M. “Angel” is listed as a lumber broker in Houston in 1884 by a railroad directory.
Research Date: JKG 9-8-94, MCJ 04-18-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson