follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PK-40
Corporate Name: Fleming and Son
Local Name:
Owner Name: D. H. Fleming and Son, owners
Location: Fleming: .01 miles west of Polk/Tyler county line on Highway 287
County: Polk
Years in Operation: 13 years
Start Year: 1885
End Year: 1897
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899
Period of Operation: 1890s and possibly longer
Town: Fleming Station
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Pine lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 1893
Capacity Comments: In 1893, 20,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular until January 1897 when replaced as a band mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Trinity & Sabine at Fleming Station
Historicial Development: D. H. Fleming was an early East Texas sawmiller who followed the construction of the railroads to tap the most easily accessible pine stumpage. In 1880, he operated a small mill south of the Trinity River on the Houston East & West Texas Railway, but he later moved to Polk County, on the Trinity & Sabine railroad. He named the mill site after himself, and his mill there was rated at 20,000 board feet per day in 1893. Such a mill could possibly support a town of 100 persons, but the town's population undoubtedly grew in 1897 when Fleming started operating the first band sawmill on the Trinity and Sabine line. D. H. Fleming & Son was running the main company sawmill at Hampton, in Tyler County, just east of Polk County.
Research Date: JKG 8-30-93, MCJ 02-26-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson