follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: RU-30
Corporate Name: E. A. Rice
Local Name:
Owner Name: E. A. Rice. Morrison, Ragland, and Turner.
Location: South of Longview on the James W. Flanagan plantation
County: Rusk
Years in Operation: 2 years
Start Year: 1879
End Year: 1880
Decades: 1870-1879,1880-1889
Period of Operation: 1879 to 1880
Town: South of Longview
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, probably from hardwoods
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 20-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Produced 400,000 board feet during the reporting period of the Census
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific at Longview
Historicial Development: E. A. Rice, according to the Census of 1880, owned and operated a sawmill in Precinct 1 of Gregg County. The post office was at Longview. The mill was d to be of a value of $1,000. The work force consisted of eight to twelve men, who earned $1.25 to $3.00 per each ten-hour day; they were paid a combined wage of $500 during the reporting period. This mill operated fulltime for eight months. From $5,100 worth of raw materials, the sawmill cut 400,000 board feet of lumber valued at $7,000. E. A. Rice had earlier sold his shingle mill, steam machinery, oxen, and sawmill, located at the the plantation of James W. Flanagan, south of Longview, to A. W. Morrison, J. C. Turner, and E. B. Ragland. Apparently, they had defaulted on their payments, and the mill reverted to Rice in time for 1880 Census enumeration.
Research Date: MCJ 02-12-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson