follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SB-1
Corporate Name: Garrison Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: W. Y. Garrison of Garrison Lumber Company. Harris & Henry. Captain Ross.
Location: West of Rush community on FM 2865
County: Sabine
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1906
End Year: 1910
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1906 until 1910 when Garrison Lumber Company operations were subsumed into those of Temple Lumber Company at Pineland
Town: Rush
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber, ties
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill with engine, boilers, saw husks, carriages, smoke stacks, set works, trimmers
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe
Historicial Development: The Captain Ross plant in 1906 is identified incorrectly by Southern Industrial and Lumber Review as being located at “Rusk” rather than Rush. It was producing 40,000 feet of lumber daily that year. Sometime that year J. R. Harris and R. W. Henry of Harris & Henry (sawmill owners at Lamerle, several miles north of Rush), acquired the Captain's lumber plant. They sold it to W. Y. Garrison Lumber Company. W. Y. Garrison also owned part of the Garrison-Norton mills, with interests in others in Rush and the one it had built about three miles from Rush.
Research Date: MCJ 12-05-95
Prepared By: M. Johnson