follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-86
Corporate Name: Hicks Brothers
Local Name: Queen of the South
Owner Name: Hicks Brothers. T. J. Oliver.
Location: Just east of Tenaha
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 21 years
Start Year: 1882
End Year: 1902
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1882 to 1902
Town: Probably Tenaha
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber and cotton
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Probably steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 30000: 1893
Capacity Comments: 30,000 feet in 1893
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, cotton gin and press, planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Houston East and West Texas, and the Gulf, Beaumont, & Santa Fe intersect here
Historicial Development: Hicks Brothers foreclosed on the “Queen of the South” lumber mill belonging to T. J. Oliver for failure to discharge a debt in 1889. The site included a cotton press, cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, an engine, and a boiler. By 1891, Hicks Brothers funded a mortgage on lumber property for Bryan Brothers of Tenaha: a Cushman sawmill, logging cars, one wagon, and eight oxen. Hicks Brothers were listed in the Galveston Weekly News, on April 13, 1893, as sawing 30,000 feet daily. On September 5, 1896, the Brothers sold lumber worth $2,000 to M. T. Jones Lumber Company of Houston. The History of Shelby County noted that E. S. and C. B. Hicks gave land to the Houston East and West Texas during the early 1880s to entice the railroad to establish a depot where the town [of Tenaha] was to be laid out. In 1885, the sawmill and a commissary was built just east of the present townsite. The planing mill was erected in 1892.
Research Date: MCJ 02-29-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson