follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SJ-29
Corporate Name: G. W. Reid & W. Roy Reed.
Local Name: Keisler Mill
Owner Name: G. W. Reid & W. Roy Reed. Keisler Mill, probably J. T. Keisler.
Location: Enoch Jones Survey, five miles northeast of Oakhurst, on Pool's Creek
County: San Jacinto
Years in Operation: 8 years
Start Year: 1916
End Year: 1923
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1916 to 1923
Town: Northeast of Oakhurst
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Eight tenant houses and a store house
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: 1923: sawmill, planers, pipes, tools, etc.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: G. W. Reid, et al. registered in the San Jacinto Chattel Mortgage Register, on January 1, 1923, a sawmill and all timber being cut on the Enoch Jones Survey, to Johanna Manning, for $2,000. A mortgage of April 23, 1923, to T. E. Keisler reveals that the Keisler facility was a complete sawmill with a company town of a commissary and tenant houses. Reid had bought timber stumpage from the estate of D. J. Young and Mary E. Carey, owners of the old Columbia Lumber Company that had sold out to Palmetto Lumber Company. The stumpage was located on 823 acres in the Enoch Jones Survey and 200 acres in the J Foster survey near the mill in San Jacinto County. A chattel document of June 12, 1923, lists the sawmill, eight tenant houses, a store house, wagons, mules, harness sets, and about 400,000 feet of lumber. G. W. Reid owned another mill two and a half miles southeast of Oakhurst during these years.
Research Date: JKG 6-24-94, M. Johnson 02-23-96
Prepared By: J Gerland, M. Johnson