follow us on twitter   follow us on facebook  


Email Page Print Page

Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: WD-6
Corporate Name: Big Sandy Lumber Company
Local Name: Second Mill
Owner Name: Big Sandy Lumber Company, Charles Warner.
Location: North of original mill site, northeast of Hawkins and northwest of Big Sandy
County: Wood
Years in Operation: 24 years
Start Year: 1884
End Year: 1907
Decades: 1880-1889,1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1884 to at least 1907
Town: Northwest of Big Sandy
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Other
Power Source: 120-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Produced:
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Texas & Pacific
Historicial Development: Charles Warner moved his sawmill from Arkansas to its new location between Hawkins and Big Sandy, next to the tracks of the Texas & Pacific. Here he built twenty-two tenant homes for his millworkers and built a tram road north into pineries he owned along Big Sandy Creek. He estimated he could cut three carloads of lumber daily. He was listed in the The Lumberman's Directory of Saw Mills, Shingle Mills and Other Wood Working Factories in the Northwest, South, and Southwest in 1880 as having a sawmill at Hawkins. In fact, he was several miles east of the town. As he cut out timber reserves close to his mill, Warner prepared to move to a new site some miles due north, just south of Big Sandy Creek. He and his two partners prepared their new company, the Big Sandy Lumber Company, to make the move in 1884. He estimated that the move cost him more than $20,000. He upgraded his property and equipment, replacing the older steam engine with one that could provide 120-horsepower. His new shingle mill cut 5,000 daily. His tram was not used for shipping milled lumber south to the tracks of the Texas & Pacific. Instead, he rafted his cut down the Big Sandy Creek to Big Sandy where the St Louis Southwestern intersected with the Texas & Pacific. Warner milled as late as 1907. It was listed in the Reference Book of the Lumbermen's Credit Association, January 1907.
Research Date: MCJ 04-22-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson